torstai 23. lokakuuta 2008

Future of Facebook


Few days ago I saw in the news feed of Facebook a girl writing to her notes about how everything goes downhill for her. I couldn't even remember why this girl was my "friend" but still I could read about her problems (cat is sick, she is sick, too much work etc..). Her written note was in a way call for help/ support and it worked. Many of her real friends wrote to her.

That could be the future of Facebook; creating a support network around us. Still I think the news feed that everyone is reading will turn out to be a message board for different corporations and organizations.

Most of the Facebookers are not to ready share their thoughts of the world online and it's a shame. A real community is about sharing feelings and thoughts, not just what we bought today or who is our favorite musician.

If facebook is one of the worlds biggest online communities and we spend our time messing with Vampire bites and 'I hate the new layout groups' then what does it tell about us as users?

Facebook is not the cutting edge when it comes to online communities in the true meaning of the word. New and innovative stuff is never popular with the masses.
(edit: Don't ask me what the next big thing is. I don't know.)

Conclusion:
News feed = advertising or self expression?
Let's try to keep these things apart from each other. We all have the Diesel t-shirt and Nike hoodie with the cat sized letters. Isn't that enough? Do we have to bring all that online as well?

Blogged with the Flock Browser

3 kommenttia:

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

I think I may know why. Example: one of my own status updates said that I wanted to cut tissue (I was "dreaming" of becoming a surgeon again) and two people, including one doctor, closed me off their walls. :D Oh well, once they did, I blocked them. That's ridiculous. If you pretend to be my friend, at least pretend not to judge me.

That's why people don't share I think. Fear of judgment. If you're yourself and people judge you and think less of you based on who you really are, that might mean you're a bad person and not okay and it would hurt. So my theory suggests that this is why people would rather post about Skittles candy (like I have) and Grey's Anatomy than about something a bit more gritty and real.

By the way, I didn't mean to share the FB note about doubting my abilities. I labeled it for my eyes only, but messed up and spread it around to my close friends. But then someone responded privately and said she's felt exactly the same way. That was good. I don't think she would've shared if I hadn't (by accident.)

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Um yeah. Forgot. What do YOU think?

Perro kirjoitti...

I think your right on the fear of judging.. But hey, that seems to be to way to go these days. Everyone is a friend and no one is a friend.

I guess a good way to narrow down friends is being totally open to them on everything. Most people can't and don't want to know who we really are. Those who are not interested aren't friends. Quite simple actually. :D

On this comment section I can give a little preview of my future plans: The day I'm going to Mexico, I'll stop using internet all together (with few exceptions). That will surely be a challenge for friendships.. :P