maanantai 31. joulukuuta 2007

Save the world by eating serials


Why on earth can't they just say "from every item you buy we give x amount of money to Africa." or something like that. But I guess this is cheaper.. Environmental friendly image and dozen or so new trees. I mean probably 1% of all the Kellogg's eaters are going to collect these tokens.

So let's see:
• TV adds across USA: few million dollars (no idea of the actual price).
• Animation of the add: about 20 000USD
• few hundred trees to Africa: 200 trees *15USD=3000 USD

And it doesn't really matter if it's 200 trees or 2000 trees. The money for the actual trees is still going to be only a fraction of the money they spent on the adds. The part given to Africa will be even smaller if you compare it to the profits
of this campaign and how it's going to affect their sales of sugared pieces of corn.

I wonder why Kellogg's products are sometimes twice as expensive as other similar products? I can assure you it's not because they give half of their profits to charity! My guess is people just buy their products without comparing the prices.

"Kellog's cornflakes, hey I remember Kellogg's from the nationwide advertisement campaign on TV and newspaper. It must be a good product unlike these RAKCKS cornflakes.."

It's a f*#&€ bag of cornflake! How big price differences can be in a piece of corn that is cooked?

For me it's really twisted that big companies try to save the world by putting plastic tokens in to their products and urging people to buy more. How the hell is that going to make a difference?

Here is a piece of advice for all you corporate executives:
•Make an TV add that lasts 5 seconds.
•On the add put text "Less money for NBC/ABC/CNN/FOX. More money for Greenpeace/WWF/etc.."
• And to the bottom of the add your fancy logo!

That's it! It's more believable and it actually does something good.

This advice was free. The next one is going to cost you something. HELL! I'm feeling so generous that I'll even make you a layout of the add.



Adds need to make people think not to just acknowledge things.

Writing/making this post took me 15 minutes. As a freelancer I cost 40 euros an hour. So that add cost 10 euros. If YOU marketing director are feeling generous as well, for a student that 10 euros would mean a lot. Hell I'm feeling extra-generous today. Give that money to WWF.

2 kommenttia:

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Man, you're on fire :)

Right now, if you watched Michael Clayton after viewing that commercial, it would so make you ... chuckle in its absurdity. You'll know what I mean when you have a chance to see it.

This energy you have... just put it where your heart is. Just a word of unsoliciated advice from someone who compromised right from the start and ... je ne regrette rien, je ne regrette rien. :)

Perro kirjoitti...

:) well still searching where my heart and desire is, meaning I have no idea what I want to do when I "grow up". By trying different kind of stuff I've found out where it's not at. But I guess I just have to keep on searching.

One lifetime to search it. It should be enough. :P