torstai 3. huhtikuuta 2008

Smart


Damn I'm smart! I had this problem while making a website and I was really stuck. Just couldn't find a solution for the problem. Well eventually I found out that it was a bug in the browsers. I had already booked a meeting with a teacher who knows about this stuff. Maybe he could help me.

Finally I thought that if I couldn't solve this problem then who could? So 6 hours of brainstorming in front of two computers I finally solved the problem. Felt like a winner. Mailed the teacher "solved the problem. Have a 30minutes break on me. See you!"

See the problem with our school system is that there is always someone who is smarter than you and who will do all the problem solving for you if you just ask. I don't know about you but for me me learning is like math. You have to solve the problems by yourself if you really want to learn. Copy/pasting gets you forward but your not learning anything. Yesterday I learned something.

This school system is quite nice but it's not making us individuals. Of course everyone need help and guidance from time to time, even me, but still I like to take the harder route. That is if the problem is something I'm interested in... But why would anyone study something they are not interested of? I just wonder how many of the 17-20 years old teenagers really know if they want to become nurses, cooks, mechanics, bankers, politicians?

Could it be that someone else made the decision for them without them even knowing it?

Would you choose differently now? I know I would.

1 kommentti:

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

And if you asked 7-year-olds, nobody would say they wanted to become a management consultant or some such thing. Obviously "things" happen along the way.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a professor (of which discipline, I didn't specify) or an animal scientist.

Wall Street kind of qualified as animal scientist.