keskiviikko 23. huhtikuuta 2008

My reward for lost time

Few months ago I was in nice job interview. I mentioned it on my blog a while ago.

I got to the second round from the interview. (My guess is that they couldn't decide which one to pick after the first round so that's why the second round.) This time there was no interview. We "just" had to come up with a new idea for their website.

I made a presentation and a demo of the site and what it would look like. You can check it here. Making the website and pdf-presentation took me about a weeks work.

Well finally I didn't get the job. Shit happens and you can't win them all. I didn't let it bother me. What happened next was the funny part.

I told my friend that I kind of wasted time for nothing. He then told me about his friend who prepared a lecture for some firefighters. It took his friend 20 hours to prepare it. Then day before the presentation he was told that the lecture was canceled. Nice. Week after that he received 2 tickets to cinema to compensate the time he lost making this presentation.

Now one week after I found out I didn't get the job a letter came with the mail. Guess what was inside it? Yes, 2 ticket to cinema!

Honest to god I couldn't stop laughing! Those tickets were compensation of the time I lost in the interview (about 4 hours). No mention of the website presentation (about 40hours of work).. According to my calculations that would make about 20 movie tickets more.

I didn't ask for any compensation because I didn't want any. They gave me an assignment and I wanted the job so I did the assignment as well as I could in the given time.

I know this company meant nothing but good by sending these tickets. I appreciate it! Thank You! But please, please, please don't give away tax deductible movie tickets for a work that took time and effort. It's not really innovative solution from a company that works in the advertisement industry. Actually it's never an innovative solution.

A simple thank you will do just fine.

Ei kommentteja: