lauantai 5. huhtikuuta 2008

Water shortage in Spain


To be exact the water shortage is in the Catalonia (Barcelona) region. Here's the news in Finnish. Didn't find anything about it in the international news agencies yet.

Anyway the water situation is really bad over there and it has forced Spain to buy water from France! So now they are getting water from France with several tankers. These tankers have enough water for Barcelona for 5 days. Price of this water? 22 million euros!

I found this piece of news from the archives of BBC news.

The thing is Spanish people don't really like other regions of Spain that much. People in Galicia find people in Catalonia arrogant etc. So giving water to different regions of the country isn't happening just like that.

Could this be the beginning of Water Trading. I'll start calling it WT. Well I guess it's already common in some parts of the world but now it's landed in Europe. I wonder when they will start making tariffs and trading systems for water... Other new term I'll make public at this point is 'WW'. It doesn't stand for World War anymore. It's Water War. (CWW = Civil Water War)

This is getting interesting. I think I'll need a long hot shower. It's a bit cold in my flat and I really don't feel like wearing long trousers and pullover.

Extra reading from New York times.
Turkey is getting dry as well.

Ei kommentteja: