torstai 24. huhtikuuta 2008

The smell of bottled water

..smells like pollution.

I can't imagine a more unnecessary invention in Europe and North America than bottled water. If some countries are about to ban light bulbs for all I care they could ban bottled water as well.

"According to a recent Fast Company article, in 1976, each American bought an average of 1.6 gallons (6 liters) per year. Today, that average has jumped to 28.3 gallons (107 liters)."

"Bottled water is not healthier than tap. According to Blogging Stocks' Thirst for Profits post, "An NRDC study actually found that 33 percent of the waters it tested 'violated an enforceable state standard or exceeded microbiological-purity guidelines,' ...""

"In addition to not being regulated, many bottled water companies don't have to pay for the water they sell.
Coca-Cola (Dasani) and Pepsi Co. (Aquafina) bottle municipal tap water. So instead of paying 1/100th of a penny per glass of your own tap water, you can buy the same in a bottle for about a $1.25."

"the pay out on a $1.29 bottle of water is: 50% to retailer, up to 33.3% goes to distribution, 12 to 15 cents to the production of the bottle and that leaves about 10 cents of profit for the company."

"The United States throws away 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour."

(Source)

A whole industry based on vanity. At least in my country where clean water is available in every building.

Of course bottled water is better option than a Coke but you don't have to buy either of those. During last two years I've been traveling around Europe quite a bit. Not once did I buy bottled water. I always carry a plastic bottle with me that I fill up with tap water. Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Slovakia. Never did I crap my pants!

Sometimes I did have headache but that had nothing to do with water. On the contrary. I think a dead rat in my mouth and lack of water were the reason for that.

Ei kommentteja: