maanantai 17. maaliskuuta 2008

Taxing vegetables


I started wondering why are the vegetable plates in restaurants about the same price as meat plates. Or for that matter price per kilo for many vegetables is almost the same as the cheapest meat.. How is that?

So my suggestion is that meat should have higher taxes than vegetables. To me that would be just logical. I mean meat requires many times more energy compared to all the green stuff that pops out of the fields (meat eats, it has to be killed, stored, chopped in to pieces, packed). So how come it doesn't show on the prices?? Somebody is manipulating the system and I don't like it.

Food is getting more expensive by the week and to me it's not fair to punish those who are trying to change the system by making it more sustainable. Instead they should be awarded (tax cuts for green stuff) so that more people would join them.

Ok Ok, I'm a vegetarian these days but that doesn't mean I want these tax cuts so that I could save money. I still buy Spanish tomatoes because they are cheaper even though it's not the ecological thing to do.. But the day I start earning some real money, instead of living from social security, I promise to start buying local products.

I only wish they would invent a banana tree that stands the cold winters of Scandinavia. Well not exactly. Gene manipulation is not really my thing either...

Ei kommentteja: